compensation: DOE employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Habitat for Humanity of Missoula
Executive Director Position Description
The Executive Director, in accordance with the objectives, policies and directives set by the Board of Directors, provides overall executive leadership for the Missoula affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. The Executive Director is responsible for the implementation of internal and external goals that reflect the organization’s vision, mission and business plan. The focus of the Executive Director includes resource development, supervision of paid staff, interns and volunteers. It includes maintaining and enhancing the infrastructure of the affiliate, serving as the primary communication link among board directors, committees, and networking with the local and regional community providing the necessary follow up to ensure that the organization runs smoothly and achieves the mission of the affiliate. The Executive Director ensures that the affiliate adheres to government laws and regulations and the policies of Habitat for Humanity International.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Board and Committee Administration and Support
• Ensures that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it. Promotes board engagement in critical thinking, strategic planning, resource development, board and committee development and overall organizational wellness. In concert with the board president and succession planning committee, administers the orientation and training program for new board members.
• Assists the chairs of all committees and promotes communication flow among committees, the board and the executive committees of the Board of Directors. Promotes attendance at board and committee meetings and stays well-informed on committee issues and actions. Encourages the Board of Directors and committees to be self-governing with oversight and assistance when needed.
• Assists the board president in establishing the agenda for board and executive committee meetings.
Finance and Resource Development
• Provides general oversight of budget and affiliate financial matters, assists the finance committee with annual budget development, and provides advice to the board and finance committee regarding budget issues and future needs. Authorizes expenditures within guidelines set by the board.
• Works with the board and finance committee to effectively manage the loan portfolio of Habitat for Humanity of Missoula to protect the organization from potential losses related to these assets.
• Works with the board and community support committee to develop an effective, multi faceted annual fundraising plan that is responsive to organizational growth and operational goals. The Executive Director has the primary responsibility for implementing the organization's fundraising plan including: identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, creating and implementing strategies to approach donors and other funding sources, and administering fundraising records and documentation. While having primary responsibility for fundraising, the Executive Director is encouraged to engage the staff, board, committees, volunteers and other resources to accomplish this fundraising plan.
• Develops and sustains a diverse funding base with an emphasis on growing an individual donor base.
Human Resource Management
• Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures, guidelines and performance standards that fully conform to current law and regulations. Prepares for the anticipated growth of the organization.
• Recommends for board approval, the development and implementation of appropriate human resource policies and procedures, including training, career development, hiring and firing, succession planning and performance management for all staff.
• Promotes an organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open and frequent communication, teamwork and a common organizational vision. Recruits, manages, inspires, motivates and empowers a strong staff team.
Community and Public Relations
• Serves as the affiliate spokesperson to interested faith communities, business, civic and volunteer organizations and foundations or other charitable giving organizations. Assists the Community Outreach Coordinator in developing contacts with local media, including newspapers, radio or television stations and the affiliate's web page.
• Serves as the face of the organization when advocating in the community with people, groups, Missoula Home Coalition, and with the City and County for affordable housing and Habitat’s mission.
• Assures that the organization and its mission, programs, products and services consistently present a strong, positive image to donors, volunteers and the community.
• Raises the visibility of the organization through the development and implementation of a sustainable marketing campaign geared to its various constituencies as well as the Missoula community.
• Provides general oversight to the Habitat for Humanity of Missoula ReStore and its manager to ensure ReStore management and goals are met and in-line with the organization as a whole.
• In conjunction with the affiliate president and treasurer, coordinates all aspects of the lending process, including facilitating the actual closing of home loans. Maintains accurate and current mortgage closing documents.
• In cooperation with the building committee, ensures the development of appropriate construction plans, schedules and budgets for approval by the board of directors. Ensures adherence to approved construction plans, budgets and safety policy. Guides the building committee, volunteers and construction staff in the timely and cost-effective construction of high quality, energy efficient dwellings.
• Works with the Board and appropriate committees to establish, and comply with, proper and effective family selection policies and procedures, and family support programs.
• In collaboration with the site selection committee, seeks and procures suitable building sites. Develops financial models for selecting home sizes and site locations.
• Maintains official records and documents of the organization including operations and policies manuals and ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations.
• Administers all day-to-day operational, financial and business affairs of the affiliate and other duties as assigned by the board of directors.
• The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Habitat for Humanity of Missoula’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualification include:
o Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
o Excellence in organizational management with ability to coach staff and volunteers, set and achieve short and long term strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
o Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of demographics.
o Experience in project development and execution of large and small projects.
o Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
o Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
o Willingness to acquire loan originator certification through Habitat International.
o Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
• College degree- non-profit administration, business or related field preferred
• Competitive salary and health benefits D.O.E.
Please send résumé and cover letter on or before July 2, 2019
Habitat for Humanity of Missoula
Attn: Kelin Johnson, President of the Board
PO Box 7181
Missoula, MT 59807
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers